Fort Hill plantation home on Clemson campus once home to John C. Calhoun

clemson university historic homes

TANYA ACKERMAN/Staff

After a two-year restoration, the Fort Hill plantation home reopened on the Clemson University campus in March 2003.


Fort Hill, an antebellum plantation home on the Clemson University campus, was the home of American statesman John C. Calhoun from 1825 until his death in 1850.

The estate passed to his daughter, Anna, and her husband, Thomas Green Clemson, founder of Clemson University.

His will calls for Fort Hill to always be open to the public.