OWEN RILEY JR./Staff
The historic Poinsett Bridge and the road across the mountains were of major economic importance to the county and state in the early 19th century.
It was the first road to link with the mountainous regions, and the bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The bridge extends 130 feet over Little Gap Creek, on Callahan Mountain Road, near the Blue Ridge Council of the Boy Scouts of America Camp Old Indian. Completed in 1820, the bridge was part of the State Road leading from Charleston to the settlements in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee.
Construction was supervised by Joel R. Poinsett, then the state's public works supervisor.
The bridge features a 14-foot Gothic arch and is built of stone that was quarried and fitted together without the use of mortar, a rarity in bridge construction in South Carolina, according to the Archives and History Department.
James T. Hammond